Vestry Meeting Minutes

Minutes of Vestry Meeting held on October 16, 2019 

The meeting was called to order at 9:00 a.m. and was opened with a prayer. 

Vestry members present: Marilyn Zimmerman, Carol Isphording, Chuck Dickerson, Jill Foerster, John Husken, and Ed Ruffley. A quorum was present. 

Meeting Agenda. Marilyn presented an agenda for the meeting. After review and discussion, the agenda was accepted. 

Rector Search. The Vestry had an extensive discussion regarding the rector candidate, Rev. Timm. The Vestry discussed the financial issues related to engaging Pastor Timm on a part-time basis and concluded that, initially, it is most desirable to retain Rev. Timm for the equivalent of one week per month (ten hours per week). This equates to her being the celebrant for one service per month plus providing pastoral care and outreach work for St. Christopher’s. The Rev. Tom Guback would initially continue as a supply priest for three Sundays per month; later reducing his work as celebrant on a schedule to be determined at a later date. It was agreed that discussions should be held with Rev. Timm and representatives of Bethany Lutheran Church. A final decision cannot be made until all parties (St. Christopher’s, Bethany, and Rev. Timm) are in agreement, which is expected to occur subsequent to Rev. Timm’s service as a supply priest on November 10 and 17. 

Minutes of the Prior Vestry Meeting. The minutes of the prior Vestry meeting, held on September 11, 2019 were reviewed. Jill moved to approve the prior meeting minutes. The Motion passed. 

Treasurer’s Report. The Treasurer distributed his report and the financial statements dated September 30, 2019, to the Vestry members by email. The Vestry reviewed the year-to-date expenses and the comparison of actual expenses to budgeted expenses. The Vestry also reviewed the investments on the balance sheet. Ed moved to approve the Treasurer’s report and the financial statements dated September 30, 2019. The Motion passed. 

Senior Warden’s Report. 

-Candidate for Diocesan Standing Committee. Marilyn announced that the Diocese is seeking candidates to stand for election at the convention to the Standing Committee. There were no volunteers for St. Christopher’s. 

-Memorial Service for Sarah Straus. Marilyn discussed the details for the memorial service for Sarah Straus, scheduled for Friday, October 18 at 11:00 a.m. There will be no Eucharist at the service. 

-Summer Senior Warden handoff to the Winter Senior Warden: Marilyn will be departing November 1. Carol will assume the Senior Warden duties on November 1. During Carol’s absence from November 12 through mid-January, Chuck will assume the Senior Warden duties. Marilyn stated that she passed the parish cell phone to Carol. 

-Website Maintenance: Marilyn stated that she will continue to maintain the parish website during the winter months. 

-Year-end Committee Reports: Marilyn stated that the year-end reports from the various committees must be submitted to her by December 31. She will compile the reports and produce the annual parish meeting booklet. 

-Additional Website Page for Book Club: Marilyn stated that the website consultant has not been available to assist with the addition of a new website page dedicated to the parish book club activities. This project will be deferred until next year. 

-Rent Increase: Marilyn stated that she and Carol met with Father Leonard and representatives of St. Gertrude’s Church to discuss a proposed monthly rent increase from $600 to $700, effective January 1, 2020. The increase is permitted under the existing agreement with St. Gertrude’s. Marilyn noted that the St. Gertrude’s representatives indicated that there is no intention of increasing the rent again in the following year. Ed moved that the amendment of the rent agreement increasing the monthly rent to $700 be approved. The Motion passed. 

-Building Issues: Marilyn stated that she and Carol have talked to Father Leonard regarding building heat, snow removal, and winter sidewalk salt issues. 

-New Issue of “The Feast”: Marilyn stated that a new issue of “The Feast” is coming soon. 

-Supply Priest Schedule: Marilyn announced the following supply priest schedule for the remainder of October and November: October 20 – Rev. Jim McLean; October 27 – Rev. Jim McLean; November 3 – either Rev. Jim McLean or Rev. Tom Guback; November 10 – Rev. Christine Timm; November 17 – Rev. Christine Timm; November 24 – Rev. Tom Guback. Marilyn noted that November 24 is the anniversary of Rev. Guback’s ordination. 

-Bulletins for Upcoming Services: Marilyn stated that Rev. Guback will be preparing all service bulletins. Dorothy will be sending out the readings until December 1, when Janet D. will take over the mailings. 

-“The Living Church” Subscription: After discussion, the Vestry decided not to renew “The Living Church” subscription. 

-Substitute Organist Compensation: After discussion, Ed moved that the compensation for substitute organists be $150 per service plus mileage. The Motion passed. 

-Charges for Funerals and Other Services: After discussion, the Vestry established certain standard charges for funerals and other special services; use of the building is $200; services of an organist ($150); services of a priest ($350). The Vestry reserves the right to waive these costs in certain circumstances. 

Committee Reports. 

-Worship: Marilyn stated that Rev. Guback will handle Advent services. 

Marilyn discussed the idea of involving the congregation writing a “Prayers for the People” to be used in a future service. This idea has the support of Rev. Guback. 

-Education: Marilyn stated that details of a November parish book club have not yet been determined. 

-Building and Grounds: Chuck discussed handling winter building issues with building heat, parking lot snow removal, and ice on walks. 

Old Business. 

-Stewardship Campaign: The Vestry approved the draft of a stewardship letter to the congregation. Ed will prepare pledge cards and mailings to the congregation. 

-Bookmarks for Visitors in the BCP and Hymnal: Jill discussed the current usage of the new bookmarks and possible improvements to the bookmarks. 

-Labyrinth Project Update. Marilyn discussed the zoning on the vacant lot across the street from St. Christopher’s. The Village will permit its use as a public park. Marilyn also stated that she will send a letter to Father Leonard to discuss labyrinth plans and to obtain the Catholic bishop’s permission to use the open lot for a labyrinth. The Vestry discussed possible costs and financing sources for the construction of a labyrinth, including contributions from the parish, fundraising events, and a grant. If the labyrinth project proceeds, the desired goal is to complete it by 2021; the 50th anniversary of St. Christopher’s. 

-LCN Capital Campaign. This item has been deferred until a future date when additional information is available. 

-Convention Delegates. Ed and Mary R. will represent St. Christopher’s at the 145th Diocesan Convention in November. 

-Vestry Membership: Marilyn announced that Jill has agreed to extend her term on the Vestry for another year. 

-Stewardship: Ed stated that he will coordinate the stewardship campaign with the Treasurer. 

-Additional Outreach Activities for St. Christopher’s: The Vestry deferred this discussion until next year. 

-St. Nicholas Dinner: Margie B. has made arrangements for this event at the Leland Lodge on December 4. 

New Business. 

-None. 

No additional business came before the Vestry. 

The meeting was adjourned at 11:45 a.m. with a closing prayer. 

Respectfully submitted, 

Edward Ruffley 

Vestry Clerk 

Minutes of Vestry Meeting Held on September 11, 2019 

The meeting was called to order at 9:06 a.m. and was opened with a prayer. 

Vestry members present: Marilyn Zimmerman, Carol Isphording, Chuck Dickerson, Jill Foerster, John Husken, and Ed Ruffley. A quorum was present. 

Meeting Agenda. Marilyn presented an agenda for the meeting. After review and discussion, the agenda was accepted. 

Minutes of the Prior Vestry Meeting. The minutes of the prior vestry meeting, held on August 21, 2019 were reviewed. Carol moved to approve the prior meeting minutes. The Motion passed. 

Treasurer’s Report. The Treasurer distributed his report and the financial statements dated August 31, 2019, to the Vestry members by email. After a review of year-to-date expenses and the comparison of actual expenses to budgeted expenses, the Vestry discussed the need to increase certain budgeted expenses and to add some new expense categories in the 2020 budget. Ed moved to approve the Treasurer’s report and the financial statements dated August 31, 2019. The Motion passed. 

Rector Search. The Vestry discussed the recent meeting with Bethany Lutheran Church and with Rev. Timm, a possible candidate for a part-time rector position. Marilyn discussed her recent phone call with Rev. Canon Hallmark regarding the possibility of a Lutheran rector candidate being available. John discussed his visit to the Lutheran church in Lake Ann to observe Rev. Timm conduct a service and to deliver a sermon. Based on the initial meeting/interview and John’s observations, the Vestry decided to host a ‘meet and greet’ event to allow the congregation to meet Rev. Timm in an informal setting. It was also decided to invite Rev. Timm to deliver a sermon during a future Sunday service. Ed stated that he will contact Rev. Timm to determine mutually agreeable dates for these events. The Vestry then discussed the requirement to determine the needs and wants of St. Christopher’s with respect to the Rector position. Vestry members emphasized the importance of considering Rev. Guback’s desires with respect to his ongoing work at St. Christopher’s. The Vestry charged the Rector Search Committee to meet with Rev. Guback to discuss his needs/desires in serving St. Christopher’s. It also decided to send a letter to Rev. Canon Hallmark to advise her of our preliminary thoughts regarding Rev. Timm. Ed agreed to compose a letter and distribute it to the Vestry for their input. 

Senior Warden’s Report. 

-Email and Cellphone Information for Parish: Status of Publication: This item was deferred until the next meeting. 

-Additional Website Page: Marilyn discussed plans for a new page on St. Christopher’s website. This page will discuss what we are reading, as a book club and as individuals in the parish. 

-All Saints’ Day Names: Marilyn stated that all who desire names to be included on the All Saints’ Day list, to be published in the November/December Newsletter, should submit them to Mary R. A similar announcement will be made to the congregation. 

-Lectionary Inserts: Marilyn stated that Lectionary Inserts for all Sundays through the end of Pentecost have been given to the church secretary for further distribution to the scheduled readers. 

-St. Gertrude’s Contacts for Building and Grounds Issues: Marilyn discussed the appropriate contacts at St. Gertrude’s in the event that there are building and/or grounds issues. 

-Substitute Organist for September 15 and September 22. Marilyn stated that Cliff Kelto has committed to serve as a substitute organist for the September 15 service. Carol has offered to serve as the substitute organist for the September 22 service. 

-Memorial Service for Sarah Straus. Marilyn announced that Rev. Guback will conduct a memorial service for Sarah Straus on October 12. (NOTE: Subsequent to this meeting, the memorial service was rescheduled for October 18.) 

Committee Reports. 

-Worship: Carol discussed the Lay Ministry report to the Diocese. 

-Education: Marilyn discussed the parish book club activities. 

Old Business. 

-Greeters Training: After discussion, the Vestry decided to defer a planned training luncheon for greeters until next June, a time when visitors will begin returning to St. Christopher’s. The Vestry also discussed the need to find greeters for the Winter months. 

-Bookmarks for Visitors. The Vestry discussed the multi-page bookmark for use in the BCP and Hymnal for visitors. It wa agreed that the new bookmarks work well. 

-Episcopal Kalendar Status: Jill stated that fifteen 2020 church calendars, authorized in the prior Vestry meeting, have been ordered. 

-Labyrinth Project Update. Marilyn stated that she, Rev. Guback, and Lisa D. met with the contractor who is installing the labyrinth at the Traverse City Botanic Garden. Marilyn discussed location, zoning and cost issues for a possible labyrinth project for St. Christopher’s. She stated that the cost issues are driven by the type of construction materials and the landscaping for the project. After discussion, it was agreed that an initial investigation should include the possibility of a lot lease and identification of any zoning issues that may exist. Jill moved that Marilyn be authorized to proceed with a preliminary investigation into the lease of a vacant lot location across from the St. Gertrude’s Church building and to determine the zoning issues that would affect the potential project. The Motion passed. 

-LCN Capital Campaign. This item has been deferred until a future date when additional information is available. 

-Convention Delegates. Ed and his wife will represent St. Christopher’s at the 145th Diocesan Convention in November. 

-Vestry Membership: Marilyn announced that Jill has agreed to extend her term on the Vestry for another year. 

-Stewardship: Ed stated that he will coordinate the stewardship campaign with the Treasurer. 

-Additional Outreach Activities for St. Christopher’s: Vestry members reviewed possible outreach opportunities that are in addition to Leelanau Christian Neighbors. The Northport Children’s Center was discussed. The Vestry agreed to invite Janet C. and Ty W. to the next Vestry meeting to discuss the effort to bring back the Children’s Center in Northport. 

-St. Nicholas Dinner: Margie B. has volunteered to organize a parish St. Nicholas Dinner at the Leland Lodge. She will insure that there are no scheduling conflicts with other local organizations. 

New Business. 

-CROP Walk: Jill stated that there is no information on a CROP Walk this year. 

No additional business came before the Vestry. 

The meeting was adjourned at 11:30 a.m. with a closing prayer. 

Respectfully submitted, 

Edward Ruffley 

Vestry Clerk 

 

Minutes of Vestry Meeting Held on August 21, 2019 

The meeting was called to order at 9:07 a.m. and was opened with a prayer. 

Vestry members present: Marilyn Zimmerman, Carol Isphording, Chuck Dickerson, Jill Foerster, John Husken, and Ed Ruffley. A quorum was present. 

Meeting Agenda. Marilyn presented an agenda for the meeting. After review and discussion, the agenda was accepted. 

Minutes of the Prior Vestry Meeting. The minutes of the prior vestry meeting, held on July 17, 2019 were reviewed. Carol moved to approve the prior meeting minutes. The Motion passed. 

Treasurer’s Report. The Treasurer distributed his report and the financial statements dated July 31, 2019, to the Vestry members by email. After review, questions arose regarding the diocesan fair share expense and the budgeted amount for office expenses. Ed agreed to follow up with the Treasurer regarding these questions, copying other Vestry members on his email. Ed moved to approve the Treasurer’s report and the financial statements dated July 31, 2019, subject to the followup questions to be submitted to the Treasurer. The Motion passed. 

Approved Vendor List. Marilyn distributed a proposed Approved Vendor List that was submitted by the Treasurer. This list is comprised of vendors that are approved for electronic payment via the bank’s online bill payment system. After review and discussion, Jill moved that the Vestry approve the proposed Approved Vendor List as submitted by the Treasurer. The Motion passed. 

Audit Committee Reports. The Vestry reviewed and discussed the financial review report and the internal control review report issued by the Audit Committee following the financial review of the 2018 financial statements. Jill moved to accept the Audit Committee reports and approve their submission to the Diocese. The Motion passed. 

Rector Search. The Vestry discussed rector search activities and Marilyn’s discussion with the Rev. Canon Hallmark. No rector candidates have been identified. 

Senior Warden’s Report. 

-Pamphlets for Local Visitors Center. Marilyn noted that the new pamphlets have been distributed. A brief discussion of additional locations for pamphlets was held. 

-Email and Cellphone Information for Parish: Status of Publication. Marilyn discussed plans to include parish contact information in local publications. 

-Outreach to St. Peter’s in Corktown (Detroit)- Marilyn discussed her phone conversation with a representative of St. Peter’s in Corktown regarding the status of its ministry to 

provide showers and laundry services to the homeless. It was agreed that St. Christopher’s support for this ministry should be deferred and reviewed next year. 

-Finding Our Strengths Program. The Vestry discussed this program and its suitability for St. Christopher’s vestry members and its parish. The Vestry also discussed the use of this program as an opportunity to hold a joint activity with Bethany Lutheran Church. No decision was made regarding the Finding Our Strengths Program. The Vestry will look for additional opportunities to have a joint activity with Bethany. 

-Payment to Anne Hallmark. The Vestry discussed the procedure to make a payment into the Rev. Canon Hallmark’s discretionary fund with the Diocese in lieu of paying her directly for her recent work as our supply priest. 

-Bill Cook Compensation. The Vestry discussed payments to Bill Cook during his recent absences due to illness. Jill moved that St. Christopher’s pay Bill for his August 11 absence due to illness. The Vestry also discussed Bill’s planned vacation absence on September 15 and 22. Marilyn stated that Cliff Kelto has committed to serve as a substitute organist for the September 15 service. Carol offered to serve as the substitute organist for the September 22 service. 

-Parish Hall Floor Replacement. Marilyn stated that St. Gertrude’s is moving ahead with the long-planned replacement of the parish hall floor. This work will affect the availability of the space for post-service coffees and the quilters group. 

Committee Reports. 

-Worship. The Vestry approved the purchase of 15 calendars for 2020. 

Old Business. 

-Isphording Sunday Brunch. Carol discussed final plans for the Sunday brunch at her house. Ed moved to formally thank Carol and Rich for hosting this popular event. The Motion passed. 

-Greeter Information. The Vestry discussed planned training and information for Greeters. The use of an informational luncheon was discussed. The Vestry also discussed the use of visitor’s cards to collect contact information. 

-Bookmarks for Greeters. A sample multi-page bookmark to mark pages in the BCP and Hymnal for visitors was displayed and discussed. 

-Labyrinth Project Update. Marilyn provided additional information regarding the possible labyrinth project. 

-Parish Book Group. It was noted that the first meeting of the parish book club took place and that feedback from participants was positive. 

-LCN Capital Campaign. This item has been deferred until a future date when additional information is available. 

-Convention Delegates. Ed stated that he and his wife are volunteering to represent the parish at the 145th Diocesan Convention in November. Due to a prior commitment, he will not be available to attend the regional pre-convention meeting, to be held on August 25 at Grace Episcopal Church in Traverse City. 

-Personal Property Inventory. Marilyn updated the Vestry on her discussion with Rev. Guback regarding two items on the personal property inventory list. Ed will update and finalize the inventory. 

-Way of Love Program. Discussion of this program has been deferred until a future date. 

New Business. 

-Schedule of Events. 

Stewardship Campaign. The Vestry began planning for the Stewardship Campaign. 

Ed agreed to coordinate this effort with the Treasurer. 

Vestry Meeting Dates. The Vestry modified future meeting dates due to the availability “`of various Vestry members. Monthly meeting dates will be: September 11, 2019; 

October 16, 2019; November 20, 2019; December 11, 2019; January 19, 2020 (the 

planned date of the Annual Meeting). 

Annual Committee Reports. Marilyn stated that committee reports for the January 2020 Annual Meeting should be forwarded to her by December 31. 

-New Vestry Members. The Vestry discussed possible candidates for the 2020 election of Vestry members. 

-Outreach Options. The Vestry discussed possible outreach activities for 2020, including LCN, environmental groups (Inland Seas, the watershed, etc.), and low-income 

assistance organizations. 

No additional business came before the Vestry. 

The meeting was adjourned at 12:10 p.m. with a closing prayer. 

Respectfully submitted, 

Edward Ruffley